Listen to your local leftie
It looks like the US Senate is positioning for another unconstitutional handover of war-powers to the president.* It’s Iran: they’re getting ready to build nukes. Of course they say their nuke plant is just for electricity, which is like saying you only want a shotgun to use it as a can opener.
Iran has good reason to want nukes; a foreign power has invaded, and now occupies two countries that border on their country. Under the same conditions we’d be scrambling to build nukes. But the bigger problem is that Iran’s president has been spouting off all kinds of imflammatory rhetoric.
In our country we have some experience with a trash-talkin’ president, so take my advice, Iran; this guy is bad news. No matter how much fun it is to express your hatred of Americans, you need somebody more moderate at the helm. Hatred needs no care or feeding; it takes quite good care of itself. Find a president who will emphasize your better selves.
What’s bothering me is that this is all so unnecessary. For decades, us radical wierdos have been telling the US not to support monstrous dictators and thugs. The Shah of Iran comes to mind, since his disregard of human rights radicalized the very people who now run Iran. Think also of Saddam Hussein, Somoza, Marcos, Noriega, and Osama Bin Laden as examples – every one of them came back later to bite us in the ass. And every single one of them was on a human-rights watch list.
So next time you get ready to brand your neighborhood leftist whacko as un-American, consider: we are looking out for future threats as well as present ones. One sure way of spotting a leader we shouldn’t support is if they are corrupt, dismiss human rights as antithetical to security, or especially if they practice or endorse torture. A quick check with Amnesty International now could save a lot of trouble down the road.
- This would be a really good time for our military not to be tied up occupying a country that wasn’t really a threat to us in the first place. But we were all branded un-American for saying so back then.
- This would also be a really good time not to have burned a lot of international bridges by ‘with-us-or-against-us’ rhetoric. Trash-talking feels soooo good, doesn’t it?
- Seems us leftist whackos have also been saying we needed to conserve oil and develop alternative energy sources, with the eventual goal of telling the Middle East what to do with their oil (luckily oil is slippery).
- One place where many leftist whackos got it all wrong was in opposing nuclear power at home. We need nuclear power, and lots more of it, for the reason mentioned above. Hmm… who knows how to build really good nuclear power plants? Oh, right… the French. I’ll just munch on some ‘Freedom Fries’ while I try to figure out how to rebuild our once-strong friendship with that country…
- I’m using the term ‘leftist’ ironically here, unless you believe that everything to the left of the Radical Right is Leftist. I’d make a poor hippie.
- * Found the link on Socialist Swine, who observes that the Democrats are doing a lousy job as a supposed ‘opposition party’.