Home > Uncategorized > its about three thousand bucks for a shot of morphine UPDATE

its about three thousand bucks for a shot of morphine UPDATE

May 9, 2009

“Where’s the appendix,” I asked.  MrsDoF pointed to the lower right abdomen.  It was about 2 in the afternoon w were at the bike shop.  The pain was in the lower left.

Well that leaves three things.  DEscending colon could be having spasms.  Could be a kidney stone.  Could be that old twice-re-done hernia operation, with its polyester mesh and titanium staples.  Every once in a while that ‘pulls’ and I have a few hours of bad.

I asked the bike shop owner to look after my bike and MrsDoF rode home to get her car. (She has a new helmet!  I am very happy about that.)

very, very carefully I climbed into the car, and MrsDoF seemed to find every pothole on the way home.  It’s been a bad afternoon and evening.  I’ve ruled out kidney stonenl; no blood in urine.  (normally it’s the color of cranberry juice when I pass one.

I lay on the bed shivering under a pile fo blankets.  My pain circuits are screwed up, they go to 11.  B efore long it was like a system-wide nociceptor load test.

OK, when it’s a kidney stone, we go to the ER, they take one look at my urinekl and it’s IV mprphine time oer last time dilaudid.  I go in and say; I don’t know what it is but GIVE ME MORPHINE RIGHT NOW GODDAMMIT And I spend the next few ghours in detox for drug seekinge.  And still send me bill when they finally figure it out

Not how I wanted to spen dmy birthday.

UPDATE
1:28 am sunday I am loathe to awaken MrsDoF but off to hospital we go.  I thought it was getting better but not. Whatever ti is, anin’t pa\ssing.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Lucas
    May 9, 2009 at 23:00 | #1

So I take it by the spelling errors that you did eventually get that shot of morphine.  The last time I went to the ER (a few weeks ago), I found the secret to getting a downright excessive amount of vicodin:
    (1) be in a small amount of pain
    (2) have a condition that looks like it could be a much more severe condition (and hence the visit to the ER)
    (3) …but could still develop into a lot more pain before the antibiotics kick in
    (4) don’t loudly shout “JUST GIVE ME SOME FUCKING DRUGS!!!!!!” to the ER doc.

2. May 9, 2009 at 23:20 | #2

We have not gone to the hospita. She wants me to, but I am not sanguine about it.  Will see what morning is like.

3. MrsDoF
    May 10, 2009 at 06:58 | #3

George has been admitted to the hospital.

Preliminary diagnosis Perforated Intestine.

We will update here as soon as possible.

Cross your fingers, Say Any Prayers.

Life as we know it is going.

4. May 10, 2009 at 10:26 | #4

I hope things get better…

5. May 10, 2009 at 12:35 | #5

Perforated intestine?  Beats my double kidney stones of a few weeks ago.

Please pat the old goat on the head and tell him that his cousin in southwest Louisiana wishes him well…

MC

6. May 10, 2009 at 15:32 | #6

The ER people called in a surgeon at 3am.  During the description of what needed doing, the word colostomy (temporary) was mentioned.
    However, there was little drainage from inside, so she just stitched up the bowel opening the old-fashioned way, and pushing antibiotics.

DOF is sleeping it off in a nice private hospital room with a great view.
    Morphine drip is his friend.

No visitors other than family today, later we shall see.
    He hasn’t even mentioned computer or phone at all.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

7. Sue B.
    May 10, 2009 at 16:25 | #7

Ouch! So sorry for the drama in your lives the last couple days!!

8. May 10, 2009 at 17:42 | #8

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.  I do not think this was the Mother’s Day that Mrs. Dof had in mind.  Seriously, my thoughts and prayers are with you and may the healing be fast and without any complications.

9. cindy
    May 10, 2009 at 17:56 | #9

Perforated intestine?  Did the doc say why it happened?  Poor George.  That sucks!

We’ll be praying for uneventful recovery and a quick return to full health.

10. May 10, 2009 at 18:00 | #10

Jay and I send our best wishes for a painless and speedy recovery.

11. May 10, 2009 at 20:27 | #11

I wouldn’t have believed it was serious, but when you said no mention of computer … Get better soon.  The weekly curmudgeon meeting won’t be the same without you.

12. May 10, 2009 at 20:49 | #12

The surgeon suspects that Geo’s regular use of aspirin and/or ibuprofen to hold back the pain of his fibromyalgia and the bicycle accident from years ago is what bored a hole through the intestinal wall.

She says the hole was smaller than anticipated, there was very little leaking into the abdominal cavity, so cleaning out with antibiotics and sewing the hole closed worked out okay so far.

There is always a worry for infection and peritonitis in that body part, so antibiotics and several other medicines in an IV cocktail is what’s happening right now.

This evening he was able to stand with assistance beside the bed for a minute, which really helps with circulation, and breathing.

The medical crew on the Surgical Wing seems to be well-trained and willing to work together.

So many phone calls that my cell phone battery is out, only the second time I have done so since I got it.

I was already Unavailable for any Sub job, seeing that the second Monday of the month is the women’s meeting at church.  It looks like I’m busy elsewhere.

Two hours and a couple cat naps in a bedside chair are catching up with me, so I gotta get to bed.

More later, as I learn about it too….

~~love and Huggs, Diane

13. Mother in Seattle
    May 10, 2009 at 22:55 | #13

Diane – Thanks for the phone call to Sis and to me.  Sorry to be so dim when you called!  To George – my love to you, and a fervent wish for this misery to be history in a hurry.

14. Melissa
    May 11, 2009 at 00:30 | #14

George and Diane,

Pete and I are praying. Please let us know if you need anything else. Pete is planning to come visit when George is up for it. Do you need a meal or two?

Love, Melissa for the Juvinalls

15. May 11, 2009 at 04:08 | #15

Jeez, I’m glad to hear DoF has a longer lease on decrepitude, and is enjoying the miracles of science and nicely altered window view.

Life in Asia wouldn’t be the same without him.

16. May 11, 2009 at 05:35 | #16

Thank you, Mrs. DoF, for getting George to the hospital on time!

If there’s anything a small army of bloggers can do for you, let us know.

Here’s to a complication-free recovery!  Love and hugs to you both!

17. Les
    May 11, 2009 at 05:46 | #17

I can’t offer much beyond my hopes for a speedy recovery from over here in Michigan, but if you think of anything be sure to let me know.

18. May 11, 2009 at 06:55 | #18

That sounds nasty. Get better!

19. May 11, 2009 at 07:04 | #19

Oy, we’ve got friends, fer sherr….Thanks for all your comments, etc.

I woke up with both cats cuddled in closer than usual, so much so that I feel even more cramped than when the big guy is there, too.

No phone calls in the night, always nice.

It’s a sunny new day.  Let’s see what it brings

:-)

20. Deb
    May 11, 2009 at 07:35 | #20

Let the morphine and uber-strength antibiotics rule, George. Mrs. DOF is a smart woman, I’m glad she kept after you to get your keester to the hospital. I’m sure the pain had to be (insufficient words) FREAKING INTENSE! Face it, if you were in Plainsboro, your doc would already be scamming your pain meds.:coolhmm: Glad you are on the healing side of things. Don’t overdo it. Mrs DOF-thanks, and please make sure you take care of you too!

21. May 11, 2009 at 07:46 | #21

Get well, George.

22. May 11, 2009 at 07:47 | #22

Thanks for keeping us updated and best wishes to DoF.

23. May 11, 2009 at 07:48 | #23

[Waves hands uselessly.]  Hope you feel better (and get better) soon, sir!  And hope you are hanging in there okay, ma’am.

24. May 11, 2009 at 07:50 | #24

Keep us posted.  I’m praying for George…

And waiting to see him back on here.

Good luck, you guys…

MC

25. May 11, 2009 at 08:50 | #25

The Inscrutable Wife and I send our best, DoF and MrsDoF. TIW suffers from fibromyalgia too, and sympathizes.

GET. BETTER. The world o’ blogs just won’t be the same without your insights and thoughtful commentary – and we’re *selfish*. ;)

26. Sue Deason
    May 11, 2009 at 09:44 | #26

George and Diane, please take good care.

27. May 11, 2009 at 09:46 | #27

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, DOF! Glad you got to the hospital in time and that they were able to mend the perforation quickly. Get lots of rest…. that goes for MrsDOF too!

28. May 11, 2009 at 10:02 | #28

As a regular follower of DoF, I am sorry to hear of these medical travails, and hope for a speedy and favorable outcome.

Now I’m wondering about those aspirin I take every day because they are supposed to be good for me. Not to mention frequent use of other over-the-counter pain stuff for my cranky low back.

All the best.

29. James (aka bastich)
    May 11, 2009 at 11:15 | #29

Get well soon DoF! The comment section of SEB won’t be the same without you.

30. leguru
    May 11, 2009 at 11:33 | #30

Sorry to hear you are under the weather, but happy that the outcome appears good. One nice thing about feeling crappy and getting better: you realize how WONDERFUL it is when the pain stops! We all need a little contrast to fully appreciate this life. Here’s hoping that for you the pain stops soon and enduringly. And Mrs DOF: Thanks for putting up with the old coot and making him take better care of himself.

31. May 11, 2009 at 12:09 | #31

Ouch.  I just heard.  I’m really glad you’re doing okay… well better.  Perforated intestine… wow..  My first thought was “What did you eat?”  but then I read the explanation.

Get well soon.  SEB will NOT be the same without you.

32. May 11, 2009 at 12:18 | #32

Hope your recovery is a quick one, George. Thanks for the upates, Dianne. Get well soon.

33. zilch
    May 11, 2009 at 12:31 | #33

I’m pulling for you, George.  Thanks for keeping us up to date, Mrs. DoF.

If it works out, I might be in Normal for a day or two at the end of June.  Any recommendations for people I should visit?

34. May 11, 2009 at 15:52 | #34

Get well soon, George !

We all know you’re busting a gut to provide us with inneressing blog content, but this is goin too far! ;-)

35. May 11, 2009 at 16:33 | #35

When I arrived at his hospital room, Geo was telling the nurse how to pin a certain button thingy to his gown.  Says it is a matter of his own comfort.  After she left, he told me to put up all the bedrails so he could brace a foot against them while moving.
    When she returned with her item, she said she has to put one side rail down.  If all rails are up, then state code says the patient is restrained, which needs to have a doctor’s order.

If a guy can mutter and cuss even more than usual when there is a tube in his nose, I’m sure it was quite evident just then.

I learned that earlier this morning, he had stood with assistance beside the bed again.

Then the surgeon came in to change the dressing.  All looks well.  He took a picture of the ridge, maybe you will get to see it later.
    She says he is doing fantastic, what with standing and ice chips intake.
    One day at a time, no promise about time for going home.  When he is ready, they will parade him past all the other folks who don’t want to get up and get moving.

After a couple visitors (my church minister and his boss) he got a bath while I waited out in the lounge.  I really do like letting other folks do the jobs they get paid to work at.  He says they also walked in the hall all the way to the Exit sign, dragging along the instruments and tubes.

He is dozing now and then, yet trading quips with all comers.

And we came up with an idea for him to read all these get well wishes.  Even if I would take in his laptop, we were told there is no internet access.  There is a computer in the Waiting Area on the second floor, but his room is floor 6West, so I am not gonna bother.

I just got done printing this current comment thread, and the one SEB put up.

Right after I watch JEOPARDY! I’ll be courier.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

36. Jim
    May 11, 2009 at 18:28 | #36

I hope you recover soon. Best wishes from Alabama.

37. May 11, 2009 at 19:20 | #37

Good news viz George’s improvement.  Go, DOF, go!

38. May 11, 2009 at 20:32 | #38

Jerry:  Keep taking the ASA.  Talk to your doc, but if you’re concerned, take low dose and make sure it’s enteric coated.

39. cubiclegrrl
    May 11, 2009 at 21:05 | #39

Good to know that the prognosis seems to be steadily improving.  Sheesh, with as much as a hospital stay costs, at least they could offer free wi-fi…  ;-)

Semester’s winding down, so I can hang out on SEB again.  Hope to see you there soon!

- cubiclegrrl

40. gruntled atheist
    May 11, 2009 at 22:12 | #40

Take care, George, and get well soon.  Mrs. DOF, thanks for the updates.

Bruce Campbell

41. May 11, 2009 at 22:20 | #41

Over at MrsDOF’s Dear Ones, I wrote a bit more because it all happened on Mother’s Day

42. Stephanie Wiman Myers
    May 11, 2009 at 22:24 | #42

George and Diane,

What I wouldn’t give to be able to come to the hospital, my arms loaded with whatever you want to munch on.

I have been swamped with work and teaching, but have you on my mind constantly.

Diane, you are wonderful to keep us informed.  I am very grateful.

No other words other than I love you both.

Sis (I have the honor of being George’s big sister)

43. May 12, 2009 at 06:25 | #43

Heh, heh, Sis.  Both you and Mom have been pulled in on the blogs.  Nice to see you here.
    Amazing how a crisis brings out things we didn’t think we would see.

Actually, Geo is not allowed anything other than ice chips, a few at a time.  He has a naso-gastric tube pumping out his stomach, and careful intake and output gets measured every couple hours.
    He is living on an IV drip and medications.

We are not allowed to eat or drink in his room, to avoid his temptations.

I have had to hold off many offers of willing hands, saying we are still in the early stages.
    It’s gonna be a looong summer.

44. May 12, 2009 at 07:39 | #44

I’ll be in your area (well, Peoria) for a while starting mid-June. I hope to find health has returned to D.O.F., and that a visit might be possible.

I was really hoping to see that unicycle in action.

45. Individual Entry Archive
    May 12, 2009 at 09:54 | #45

George & Mrs.  Hope all is well and that the pain is fully under the control of powerful drugs! :)

46. May 12, 2009 at 12:02 | #46

Glad to see you still moving around, DOF. Get well soon.

47. Neil
    May 12, 2009 at 16:54 | #47

Oh, man…I haven’t visited here or at SEB for a couple of days.  I hope all goes well.

I don’t comment much here(everyone’s just too darn reasonable for my ranting) but I love to read the wide variety of topics here, and I love DoF’s input at Stupid Evil Bastard.  I guess this might slow down the unicycle training a bit, but I hope it doesn’t keep you off the tubes for too long.  I’ve only just read the news and the internet is already a poorer place for it, at least temporarily.

Best wishes to you both.

48. May 12, 2009 at 17:28 | #48

Three days on since abdominal surgery.

The bandage got changed again, with a bit of oozing around the drain tube.  It looks like there is a clear film hand grenade hanging on his hip.
    What holds the incision together looks like a zipper since the bits of metal are spaced so evenly.

A different kind of antibiotic attached to the drip; he was told to hit the morphine button a little more often.  Yes, more often.  Apparently, he’s not using as many drugs as expected after such a big occurrence.
    He says it is because there are pressure cuffs on his calf muscles to prevent blood clots, and they also help with the fibromyalgia.

Best of all, the N/G tube removed, by an even hand and a steady pace.  It seemed to keep on coming even after I thought the end is near.
    Almost a meter long, oh my.

The doctor says Nothing to eat or drink.  Even spit out the melted ice chips for awhile.

What we’re hoping for is bowel sounds.
    A big man-size fart or even a girly squeek

We went for a walk around the circuit and passed the nurse’s station

He wants to reply to the printed comments.
    He cannot get his fingers to meet the keys to be able to put a message on the jump key from my purse.
    He will not dictate notes to me.

We greatly appreciate all the good wishes.

Geo was sleeping soundly when I left at 4pm.
    No tube tape on his face is big improvement.

I’ll go back over awhile this evening.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

49. May 12, 2009 at 20:54 | #49

Diane-

Tell him to hang in there.  I’m STILL praying for him…  And you.

MC

50. Les
    May 12, 2009 at 21:55 | #50

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like he’s improving slowly but surely. That’s what we’re all hoping for. Tell him to keep up the good work.

51. May 12, 2009 at 22:04 | #51

Thanks for the updates, Diane.  Best wishes and prayers to you both from this neck of the woods.

52. TooMuchToSay
    May 12, 2009 at 22:55 | #52

Hi DOF and Mrs. DOF
    Hope DOF is going to be all better before summer is over – sure hate for him to miss all the bike riding in nice weather.
    Thanks for posting the updates.  Tell him that he has many friends in MI who are pulling for him to get better sooner rather than later.
    Take care – you too Mrs. DOF don’t run yourself down.

53. Stephanie Wiman Myers
    May 13, 2009 at 06:47 | #53

Well George, you now have more to live for.  I saw Star Trek last night and thought of you big time.  I think you will enjoy it. I could just imagine you and the fam sitting there and kibbitzing about how this wouldn’t work and that ws impossible, but laughing at all the inside humor.  Spielberg must have had a blast making that film.

So glad to have all the computer updates.

Can’t believe the hospital has no wi fi.

Hope you emerge soon.

Love, your sister

54. May 13, 2009 at 07:28 | #54

Hooray for no tube tape on the face!  Here’s hoping for farts.  And no, I never thought I’d ever say that.  ;-)

Thanks so much for keeping us updated, Mrs. DoF.  We’re holding both of you in our hearts.  It’s good to hear things are on the right track healing-wise.

I can’t wait until you get to spring poor George from the Land of No Wi-Fi.  Such a travesty shouldn’t be allowed in a modern hospital…

55. zilch
    May 13, 2009 at 08:14 | #55

After I had my appendix removed, I can well remember the suspenseful waiting for signs of business as usual from my bowels.  It was a joyous occasion to be able to tell the surgeon “Flatus habe ich schon gehabt”- farting was my ticket to eating again.  Hang in there, George- I want to meet you and your family.

56. EyesOnly
    May 13, 2009 at 10:32 | #56

Hope your recovery goes well George.

57. Stephanie Wiman Myers
    May 13, 2009 at 11:24 | #57

I vote for a “everybody bring something” picnic in the park when George is up to it.  It would be wonderful to meet you all.

This would just be to “celebrate George”.  That’s it.

Bet he could use a good meal by then.

Love you Bro and SIL
    sis

58. May 13, 2009 at 13:38 | #58

Sis:  If I can make it I will take pictures.  On film.  I’m more decrepit than the ole fool. :roll:

59. May 13, 2009 at 17:31 | #59

Medical update for Geo
    He is walking the hallway circle 4 times in one shift.  A nurse told him how far that would be, but I’ve forgotten.
    Pushing the pole with all the stuff hanging gave my wrist a workout.

The belly bandage got changed after his ahem -shower-!
    Yessirree, he had a shower in his own little bathroom with a nifty wand which lets him rinse all the parts without having to do acrobatics.  There was a Tech (why did the title get changed from Certified Nursing Assistant aka CNA?) there to listen by the door while she also changed the laundry for the bed.

I got to go sit in the lounge watching some tv court drama with another lady doing the same kind of waiting.
    76 channels on the cable, and all shows are duds

The surgeon came in, calling Geo her model patient.  She wrote orders for a different kind of fluid in the IV drip.
    She says the catheter can come out tomorrow morning at 6am.
    This is a colleague courtesy.
    the first 8 hours after the catheter is removed, there is much watching of the system and output, and any problems must be referred to a urinary specialist
    if the cath got pulled at Noon,
    for trouble the staff is calling somebody in at 9pm

especially with his previous history of stones and other problems
    it would be better to keep business hours

Visitors and cards are welcome.
    Ya wanna know the address, zip me an email
    or send it by here and I will hand deliver printouts

He’s loving our makeshift system of correspondence.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

60. leguru
    May 13, 2009 at 18:57 | #60

Thanks for the updates, Mrs DOF. Here’s hoping for global warming flatulence sooner rather than later!

61. other sis-Karen
    May 14, 2009 at 12:38 | #61

George-  Sorry to hear about all your excitement.  Glad to see things going well.  Steph’s picnic sounds like a good idea, hope you can do it soon.  Thanks Diane for the update.
    Love to all,
    Karen

62. May 14, 2009 at 20:53 | #62

OK, I just had an insight (millions won’t believe that)  …. It took a major medical issue for DOF to generate a record number of comments on an entry.  Brilliant.

63. May 14, 2009 at 20:54 | #63

Okay, lemme see if I can type

Um Geo’s update
    HE. IS. HUNGRY!!
    he asked the doc for “some kind of nourishment”
    but not until more rumblings in his tummy
    she assures him
    he can live with what’s happening awhile yet

the catheter came out, then a written note with a cuss word p*ss*ng was taped to the door of the bathroom for my benefit and the staff was greatly amused
    I have orders to keep it so he can reference it when he writes his own blog post

he is using a jug and measuring his own output
    keeping careful notes on a tablet retrieved from his backpack
    he says it’s not proper to write on the chart sheet on the wall

that seems to be a magic backpack
    more and more stuff comes out of it and is spread all over horizontal surfaces of the room

I’ve been given a list of items to bring from the house
    we might have to rent a van to carry it all again

we walked together a few times around the hall circuit

he’s walking on his own in the room, pushing around the IV pole, getting ticked off at beeps and tubes
    in fact, when something by his ankle got twisted, he lifted his left leg, propped his foot on the seat of a chair, then adjusted the offending part

the bandage is off the stitches
    except for a little one around the drain’s tube
    and I hear that he showed it to a visitor
    he’s making preps for a slideshow later

there is a nice stack of cards already
    he fingers them, tries to get his eyes to focus
    concentration level not exactly high level
    drugs and hunger are not mentally stimulating activities

I went out today for a couple errands, and then to the regular meeting of my Yarn Group
    all my buddies have similar stories to tell
    the bedside vigil is familiar to many

gonna go—cat between me and screen

~~love and Huggs, Diane

64. cindy
    May 15, 2009 at 04:22 | #64

So.  He’s hungry and snarky?  Sure signs of recovery!  Keep up the great work of caregiving, and take care of you, too.  Thank you so much for updating us.

~~cindy

65. May 15, 2009 at 07:03 | #65

Thanks for the update, Diane.  Glad to hear the steady improvement, though not as fast as I’m sure everyone would like.

66. May 15, 2009 at 07:31 | #66

It’s really good to hear that DoF seems to be getting better.  I really appreciate the updates.  I also popped over to your blog, Diane, and reading the entry you wrote about your son meeting you at the hospital nearly brought tears to my eyes.

67. May 15, 2009 at 17:16 | #67

Thanks for the update, Diane. Glad to see George is doing better.

68. May 15, 2009 at 20:52 | #68

singsong from the Pre-K room stuck in my head:
    Today is Friday Friday All Daaay Long !

Geo is up moving around, pretty much at will
    but tires easily, maybe from having to push the contraption with machines and tubes

he walked two laps around the hall circuit while I was watching JEOPARDY! in his room with cable which on a rainy day is much better than the antenna and digital converter box we have at home

the IV started in his right hand in the ER gave the meds until Thursday night, then something happened to cause it to be pulled, then another started in his left hand

the doctor says we are in a holding pattern
    keep doing what has been happening
    waiting for rumblings abdominal all the way through
    It seems even George cannot hurry Mother Nature

he had several visitors today, and glad to see ‘em

I took in a little basket to hold the cards so the housekeeping guy only has one thing to move and dust around

son Lucas sent an e-mail saying he would like to be picked up sometime Saturday, now that Finals are done at the U of I/ Urbana

so Chris and I are getting the space ready where he will sleep
    laundry machines chugging away

Geo was sleeping when I left, but there was still an hour left of Visitors Welcome, so he might have had a straggler come by

Meanwhile, the furry beasts want attention!
    worse than kids in some ways

~~love and Huggs, Diane

69. May 15, 2009 at 22:48 | #69

Everyone – after 6 days I am a little bit functional cannot focus ver ywell.  Conversation is OK but I am typing every word four or five times.  I am overwhelmed by the flood of good wishes – thank you all so very much.

Thank you all agqain so very much.  You are wonderful Diane will continue giving updates post. – George

70. leguru
    May 15, 2009 at 23:41 | #70

Happy to see your smiling posts, again. Hang in there. And remember there’s no fart like an old fart!

71. May 16, 2009 at 02:13 | #71

Glad to see you typing George and to be doing better! I really appreciate the updates as well Diane.

Get well soon man.

72. cindy
    May 16, 2009 at 07:03 | #72

George,

Great to see you on your blog.  Keep walking!  Are you allowed to sip hot liquids yet?

Per leguru’s post, perhaps you should change the name of your blog to Decrepit Old Fart??

73. May 16, 2009 at 07:08 | #73

Ah Hah!  now I see why an ethernet cable was on the list of stuff to bring from your desk

Will I be arrested as an accomplice for accessory to the hospital phone system?

74. May 16, 2009 at 07:26 | #74

No liquids yet.  I’m only good for a few nminutes at na time on the computer before I lose focus

Chicken broth, i can smell it somewhere.  But no fart, no broth.  Dr. says they have tobe big farts too.

Thanks everyon.

75. May 16, 2009 at 08:04 | #75

Your situation has given me a brand-new appreciation for farts.  ;-)

Wonderful to see you back, George!  The intertoobz just aren’t the same without you.  Should you need anything a worried friend in Washington state can provide, just give me a shout.

Thanks to Mrs. DoF for the updates and the clandestine internet access!

76. May 16, 2009 at 09:26 | #76

See…  the prayers worked.

Just glad to see you’re well on your way back, friend…

Be careful, don’t try too much too soon…

MC

77. May 16, 2009 at 09:49 | #77

Aw, Thanks, MC for the prayers

when my mom said she feels a bit helpless being two states away, I said that prayers would be good
    not only for recovery

but that the storms did not put water in our basement cuz I don’t have the oomph to work the wet-vac machine

Well—this morning, two old towels laid down in the offending corner were just a little damp, so I hung ‘em over a folding rack
    then replaced with a couple others
    the dehumidifier was not quite full, but I emptied it anyway, and is now running well

78. May 16, 2009 at 16:11 | #78

Glad to hear of your progress.

Keep it up.

79. May 16, 2009 at 22:34 | #79

Saturday, usually our breakfast date,
    so I missed my favorite pancakes

Geo is up and moving around readily
    while he and I were walking the hall circuit, as we rounded a corner he asked what I had for breakfast

just as we passed the nurse’s station, I answered that I stayed home and cooked oatmeal on the stove and added brown sugar and dates

someone behind the counter, I think it was his doctor, said something about talking about food while he is not allowed to have any

he answered that it doesn’t bother him,
    and I said well—he asked!

we figured out it has been a whole week since he has eaten anything
    still in a holding pattern, waiting

I left a little before 3pm to fetch son Lucas from Urbana
    then we arrived back at the hospital a little before 6pm

they chatted awhile, then I said I needed some supper, so we called Chris about where we would meet

after, Lucas wanted to go back to see his dad
    they walked and talked for a couple hall circlings

right now, Lucas is over at Chris’s place,
    saying HI to their cat Scratchy

and I am going to bed

it tires me out more to drive an hour over and come back
    than to sit with yarn and hook in my hands

~~love and Huggs, Diane

80. May 17, 2009 at 09:01 | #80

Good to see you typing again, DOF.  Hang in there, get rest, and start farting, STAT!

81. May 17, 2009 at 10:35 | #81

It has been a long haul but George seems to be ready to pull into a parking lot and fill the air with the sweet smell of success.  We are pulling for you!

82. Les
    May 17, 2009 at 12:30 | #82

I never thought I’d see so many people hoping so earnestly for someone to fart. Understandable given the circumstances, but very surreal. Not that I’m not among the numbers waiting for word of an odorous emission, but still… very strange.

Keep up the good work, George. Hope to see you back to full health soon.

83. May 17, 2009 at 18:24 | #83

He Squeeketh!
    and had some chicken broth and a cuppa decaf tea for lunch
    YUMMM. . . :coolgrin:

clear liquids for the rest of today
    full liquids Monday

84. May 17, 2009 at 18:26 | #84

Whoo! Way to go, DoF! You’ll be alienating your relatives in no time!

PS. I hope you enjoy your return to a solid diet as much as I did.

85. May 17, 2009 at 19:11 | #85

Thank you everyone I treasure your good wishes and humor.  It is hard to write I keep losing focus either drugs or starvation.  Tonight a bit of clearn liquids, heavenly.  So it must be the drugs i am ver loopy.

I had a funny conversation with a lovely nurse who came in and said”Good evening mister Wiman, have you passed gas today?”  I said wouldn’t it be strange if other businesses grreted their customers that way; “Hello, welcome to Sears, have you passed gas today?”  She laughed and said that’s just how it is in surgical recovery. I think she may have used the word surreal too.

I will try to put up a new post tonight sometime. Thanks again.

86. May 17, 2009 at 19:24 | #86

There’s a gas and rising again joke in all of this somewhere, but I can’t find it.

In Korea and China, a standard greeting is “Have you eaten?” That was from times of hunger and famine. Now that prosperity has hit both countries, maybe the “have you passed gas?” is the natural evolution.

Thanks to Mrs DoF for the wonderful updates, and thanks to you for not croaking.

87. leguru
    May 17, 2009 at 19:57 | #87

5/10 – diagnosis; 5/17 – recuperating flatulence = And on the Seventh Day He rested . . . Enjoy your recuperation: you’ve managed it in about the same time it took for God to create the heaven and earth (according to some myths).

88. Stephanie Wiman Myers
    May 17, 2009 at 20:07 | #88

Hey George,

When the time is right, the inaugural chocolate shake is on me…

Or have you evolved into liking Smoothies?  They are big out here, don’t know about the mid=west.
    I am way into Smoothies (fruit shake)…not good for the wallet, but way refreshing.

You are squeeking?  Okay.

Your wife probably finds quite a humorous side to all the proceedings.  Hope you are eating soon and continue to do what you need to get outta there.  Hope also that you are able to read.  But sleep may just be the order of the day.

All best to you, little brother and devoted sister in law.
    Thank YOU sister in law for taking such good care of my brother.

Signed,
    Thinking of you in Bowie

89. May 17, 2009 at 21:34 | #89

This (gas) too shall pass.

90. Too Much To Say
    May 17, 2009 at 22:25 | #90

Hi George & Diane
    This farting business is great news. Usually we don’t discuss these issues, but in your case I have been waiting to hear that you have let the big one rip and can finally begin eating again. So glad to hear that you are now on liquids – it is a start.
    Kudos to you Diane for the wonderful care of hubby and smuggling of computer parts so he can communicate.
    Hope to get out that way some year and say hello in person.
    Keeping you in our thoughts for a speedy recovery now that you can ‘eat’ so to squeak.

91. leguru
    May 17, 2009 at 23:46 | #91

Be sure to Google “This, too, shall pass.” It’s an ancient Hebrew wisdom tale involving Solomon. Good read.

92. May 18, 2009 at 04:11 | #92

Gas at last!  Congratulations, my dear!

Broth today, buffet tomorrow!  Woot!

93. May 18, 2009 at 07:39 | #93

Well, we did not quite make the number of comments roll over to 100, but I do think this has been a most unusual way to spread the word for a week.

Thanks to all for being interested and invested bystanders.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

94. May 18, 2009 at 08:09 | #94

They’re not bystanders, love – they’re a lifeline for my morale.  Lots of long hours here when you or the boys or other visitors are not here.

95. May 24, 2009 at 20:54 | #95

For those who geek out over medical stuff, Major Surgery, the gory details edition part one is now up.  I’ll post the second installment tomorrow afternoon.

96. June 1, 2009 at 04:43 | #96

Update June 1

George has been re-admitted to the hospital.
    He has some pain in his left side and was thinking it was the ol’ acid reflux problem.
    We went to the Walk-In Care clinic on Sunday evening before sundown.
    the doc sent him to where there would be a CAT scan machine available = at the Emergency Room

The place was ahoppen.  We walked through the door shortly after 7pm, was given a cubicle at 7:50pm.

X-Ray, blood work from the lab, CAT scan

At Midnight, the surgeon on call from the office was called, and decided to come in at 1:30am.
    It seems a small infection of the peritonium (the lining of the abdomen, outside the intestines) reasonably contained to a small area has reared its ugly head.

George was admitted to the Surgery floor, seeing the same nurses but from a room on the other side of the hall, different view from the window.

He is on 2 kinds of antibiotics, and the expectation is this will be enough.
    Hopefully, no other surgery will happen, but next couple days will tell.

We will figure out how to carry on updates because Lucas has guest for front page status.

Thanks for all your support :)

97. zilch
    June 1, 2009 at 05:16 | #97

Oh man.  You get better now, George, or else.

98. leguru
    June 1, 2009 at 08:58 | #98

What’s a nice guy like you doing in a place like that? Hurry and get well and get the hell outa there.

99. June 1, 2009 at 14:15 | #99

Dagnabbit, George, I was just telling people how you were getting better and all that.  Rather discourteous of you to show me wrong.

100. June 1, 2009 at 17:12 | #100

Dude get better! Fight off those damn bacteria. Hopefully I’ll be able to stop by and say hi this week!

101. Scottish Gourmet
    August 5, 2009 at 14:28 | #101

Get well soon…

102. August 25, 2009 at 21:51 | #102

Again my thanks to everyone.  Someone asked today how I’m doing so here’s a three month update.

Short version, heck of a lot better than when this post was written!  Still not 100%, I am told that’ll be a while yet.