Home > Uncategorized > What the hell was THAT?

What the hell was THAT?

November 27, 2011

Last night I was feeling a bit poorly but that’s not unusual. This morning at 5am I woke to abdominal pain which got worse until we went to the Emergency room, where it spiked three times at high kidney-stone, knee-buckling, all-coherent-thought-stops level.

Kidney stone? Another perforation? Did that cyst in one of my kidneys decide to go blooie? We don’t know, because the CAT scan and urine test came back clean. And while the pain is still here a bit, it has abated. The doctor said “that happens sometimes”. He thinks I might have passed a small kidney stone but no way to be sure.

Great. I’ve had many kidney stones, and a perforation, and assorted other problems some of which I have not discussed online in specific terms, but this is something new: “Massive pain for no goddam reason.”

I’m back at home now, a bit wrung-out and wondering what the hell hit me. Of course I’m really grateful it wasn’t another perforation but there’s this mystery. And how often is this going to happen?

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. November 27, 2011 at 13:32 | #1

    Our thoughts are with you George.

  2. WeeDram
    November 27, 2011 at 13:38 | #2

    Well, there is a reason, just no one knows it. Ooops, sorry to be a smart-arse. Here’s hoping it doesn’t recur.

  3. November 27, 2011 at 14:09 | #3

    “How often is this going to happen?” Well, if I said only once more, would you be comforted?

    Sorry to hear about the whole thing, and hope you’re feeling better (and staying feeling better) soon.

  4. November 27, 2011 at 14:34 | #4

    Ugh, hate not knowing. Hopefully it was only a small kidney stone. Those bastards.

    At least this time they didn’t have to fillet you. And here’s hoping the MMP (Mysterious Massive Pain) never returns! Take care of yourself and let us know if there’s anything you need.

  5. Les
    November 27, 2011 at 14:57 | #5

    I still don’t know why the hell my uvula tried to collapse into my throat oh so many years ago. They said it was an allergic reaction, but couldn’t tell me what triggered it. Hasn’t happened since that one time and I’m hoping it never does again.

    Hope you’re feeling right as rain ASAP.

  6. November 28, 2011 at 07:46 | #6

    Well, the mister pedaled away on his bicycle this morning. Breakfast at his favorite diner, then onward to his job at ISU. An ordinary occurrence after an eventful holiday break.

  7. dof
    November 28, 2011 at 11:07 | #7

    Thanks folks – I appreciate the good thoughts!

    Best theory we have at the moment is that it was a small stone. Big ones and small ones hurt about the same, the only difference is duration. As Dana said, I’m just glad it didn’t end in the abdominal fillet followed by a year of recovery. In fact later that afternoon I was on my feet doing stuff… slowly.

  8. November 28, 2011 at 19:09 | #8

    Best wishes, George. I’m glad it hasn’t kept you down!

  9. Dale Austin
    November 29, 2011 at 13:06 | #9

    Franklin may not have said “beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” but the kidney stone is proof god is a right little shit.

  10. November 29, 2011 at 13:59 | #10

    Hoping you don’t go through that again my friend because you don’t need to worry about the unknown things. Take care!!

  11. November 29, 2011 at 19:49 | #11

    I’m going with a ‘passed a small stone’ theory.

    I have these episodes from time to time. Usually I just sit there to see if the pain gets bad enough to go to the hospital. Most of the time it reaches a crescendo, then goes away.

    Then I go about my business.


  12. dof
    November 29, 2011 at 21:32 | #12

    Cajun – crescendo it did, and go about my business (slowly) I did. But since delay can be fatal (and nearly was last time) if it’s a perforation I did go to the hospital. Their CAT scanner can rule out a perforation.

    Dale Austin – you certainly have it right.

Comments are closed.