Home > Uncategorized > Hot tea instantly cures swine flu

Hot tea instantly cures swine flu

October 21, 2009

Woke up with a cough, and like any good American hypochondriac, went immediately to the InterWebs to see if it was Swine Flu.  Let’s see: according to some random web page the symptoms are:

• fever, which is usually high, but unlike seasonal flu, is sometimes absent

• cough
  • runny nose or stuffy nose
  • sore throat
  • body aches
  • headache
  • chills
  • fatigue or tiredness, which can be extreme
  • diarrhea and vomiting, sometimes, but more commonly seen than with seasonal flu

(These are pretty much the symptoms of any flu, though H1N1 appears to be more contageous and a bit more on the acute respiratory distress)

Well let’s see; I gots a little sniffle, but it’s pretty much allergy baseline for harvest season.  None of those other symptoms, just cough.  OMG I have a cough!!1!.

Had a cup of hot tea and the cough pretty much went away.  On my second cup now, just catching up on blogzz ‘n stuff.  Will be going back to bed as I must be giving a presentation at 7.  Maybe I need a new pillow.  According to the Interwebz they can accumulate allergens and I can’t remember when I bought this one.  Lucky it’s decaf tea zzzzzz….

UPDATE: 6:16am, looks like the cough was caused by acid reflux.  No trace of it now.  Still going pillow-shopping though.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. October 21, 2009 at 13:57 | #1

I’m pretty sure it’s accurate that foam pillows are less prone to allergen growth than feather/down.  I have a foam cervical pillow and much prefer it to uni-shape feather.  But I did learn to not buy cheap foam.  Aside from longevity, they are typically not shaped well and the density can be all wrong, i.e., at either extreme, not Goldilocks.

2. October 22, 2009 at 02:35 | #2

Good call on the pillow. They get less fluffy after a while.

I like tea when I’m not feeling well, usually. Have no idea why. Maybe it’s good not to over-analyze sometimes.

3. October 22, 2009 at 07:08 | #3

“The Doctor said, give ‘em jug band music,
    it seems to make ‘em feel all right.”

Darn, I know it was John Sebastian’s band, but the name of it just isn’t coming to me. How can I recall the lyrics, and the name of the guitar player, Zal Yanovsky, but not the band?

4. October 22, 2009 at 07:16 | #4

It came to me, Lovin’ Spoonful!

Now I know why I couldn’t recall it. It’s such a lame band name, my mind didn’t want to be involved with it.

It’s not old age after all. Definitely not. Nope.

5. October 22, 2009 at 20:42 | #5

Yes,the Lovin’ Spoonful. Zal went on to own Chez Piggy, a high end restaurant in Kingston, Ontario.  It was located in a sort of courtyard in downtown Kingston, you had to walk down an alleyway to get to it. I saw it once, but at the I was way too poor to eat there.

6. October 24, 2009 at 21:20 | #6

Just now remembered … years ago (in Stratford), I had a nasty cold/virus/flu/whatever.  A co-worker had just returned from a visit home to Newfoundland, and brought me an airline-size bottle of screech, which is Newfoundland white rum.

Consumed in the evening in the recliner in the house on Woods, my cold/virus/flu disappeared overnight.

DRINKING CURES THE FLU.

7. October 26, 2009 at 00:17 | #7

I’m laying in a supply of strong foreign alcoholic beverages and a field’s worth o’ tea, then.  At least until the vaccines are available.  Then I won’t be stockpiling the alcohol, at least.  ;-)

Mmmm.  Memory foam pillow.  I loves me my memory foam pillow.  And it didn’t take long to air it out, as opposed to the memory foam topper.  I’ve conquered The Stench on that and it’s brilliant, though.

8. 1centwiz
    November 2, 2009 at 05:45 | #8

oh you wimps… just put your pillow in the dryer on high and it will kill any bug, including the dreaded mites that eat your skin. NOT the live skin, the sloughed off type…
    Also, put your pillow in an allergen pillow case. It helped my fears of bed bugs and all I have to do is was the pillow cases and It’s like a new Pillow all over again…
    And yes, I have a memory foam that cost over $100 bucks, so I’m not going out to buy a new one anytime soon. Hence the pillow case theory works fine with me…
    Oh and I wish I had some hot buttered rum right now… all I have is wine, do you think that will help or just deplete my immune system?
    Gots the sniffles and soar throat, but woke up because of nerve pain exactly 4 hours after I took my motrin… whiney whiney me…
    Going to try some tea, now to only find some that is caffeine free, chamomile free (allergic to the weed), and drink till the nerves stop stinging.
    Hey at least I’m catching up on stuff, important stuff too… don’t you think?
    Cheers!

9. November 2, 2009 at 07:14 | #9

I also find that chamomile tea makes me sick.  My favorite late-night tea is Vanilla Almond Decaf from Republic Of Tea.

10. 1centwiz
    November 2, 2009 at 14:03 | #10

I have to chuckle at this one… same flavor I like and had last night. I don’t know if it’s the tea that makes the sore throat go away or if it’s the burning of the tongue and throat from the way too hot tea that takes over the pain receptors.

In either case, I’m feeling much better right now and have had a chuckle or two at your responses to my posts. Wish I was better with the one liners, but have all these words stored up to share… or so that’s what I tell myself.

And yes, strange allergies, getting shots now to hopefully help with it all. Scientifically speaking, I’m a doctors best and worst case scenario. But I keep getting better regardless of medicines and in fact have been doing much better without medicines, man made ones that is. Natural is the key to my health right now. Holistic is I believe the genre that I speak of… giving the body what it needs instead of all the man made crap they put on the grocery store shelves for lazy people who don’t want to take the time to make things that are good for them.

Since when do we need all the preservatives that are put into foods to promote shelf live? All the fat, sugar, salt and other chemicals that supposedly make things taste better? What taste are we comparing things to?

Or maybe it’s the stuff in the food that makes us crave more, buy more, eat more and still not be satisfied?

Me? I like the taste of lettuce grown in a garden without pesticides. Or a potato or carrots that have not been grown in ground that is fertilized with chemicals, but real horse and cow poop! Sure it takes more effort to grow food like this, but hey, I can’t afford to pay “organic” prices in big supermarkets when I can still trade babysitting or computer work for food.

Who needs to hold a sign at an intersection when you just live in a community of all poor people and we have more time on our hands than money, so we tend to believe in the Free Market system of purchasing… oh but I’m just a hick from the mountains who lives half way between Hope and Paradise, literally. (Google maps even says so!)