Home > Uncategorized > A depressing score

A depressing score

August 23, 2009

I took the Pew Research Center Science Quiz, and got 100%, so I should be happy.  But I’m not, because the questions were really easy (every single one has been in the news lately) and I read the “scores by demographic” part.  It gave me that “we’re all doomed” feeling.

Notes:

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. August 23, 2009 at 21:34 | #1

Yep, the questions did seem easy enough, and I also earned a score of 100%

2. August 25, 2009 at 11:00 | #2

I finally got up the courage to take the test, and aced it, to my surprise.  I haven’t studied any of the relevant sciences, just picked up most of my knowledge from random reading, so the poor scores are a comment on more than just our education system.

3. August 25, 2009 at 23:22 | #3

Also 100%. But what shocks me is that there are people who got less. Education USA?

FWIW, it worries me at 65 that my IQ results are drifting downhill. (From 138 for decades down to 125 now). I hope this is not the entry into senility. Reminds me of ‘Flowers for Algernon’ :-(

4. August 28, 2009 at 23:19 | #4

Eunoia, is that the story about the idea of ignorance being bliss?

5. August 30, 2009 at 04:14 | #5

Webs, I can’t speak for Eunoia but I can assure you there is nothing blissful about serious doubts about the ol’ noggin’.  It’s actually scary as hell.  Almost any other sign of age you can deal with, but your brain is you.

6. August 30, 2009 at 16:55 | #6

If Eunoia is referring to the story I am thinking of, then it’s not so much about someone with a terrible memory, or too much head trauma. But rather about someone born with a really low IQ. Perfectly content with their life and thinks everyone really likes him. But in reality he is too ignorant to know the difference of people making fun of him. Then I think what happens is someone tells him he could be the smartest person in the world by going through an experiment. But it takes time. So the question is would you? Or is there something to be said about happiness? Keep in mind that most of us reading this are smart enough to know our own ignorance. The janitor in this story is not.

7. Leahn Novash
    September 30, 2009 at 14:33 | #7

I got 11 right, missed the first one about aspiring being used to prevent heart attacks. Never had a case of heart attack in the family and never really got sick much myself, so my knowledge of meds is really kinda lacking.